Friday, June 15, 2012

First Impressions

I've been in country a little over 48 hours now and already had just a variety of experiences. I haven't had an opportunity yet to take many pictures so instead for this first post, I think I will just write out a few quick mental snapshots. I will be seeing a little more of town in the next few days and I will post some pictures then.

Turkish Airlines- food, leg room, wine, entertainment all really excellent. I highly recommend flying Turkish! The only problem was that for some reason they turned on the heat in the plane a few times. No bueno. Also, I've never been in a hotter airport.

Speaking of airports, Abu Dhabi airport at 2am in incredibly busy. So many people everywhere!! Also my first experience picking up a visa and getting a retinal scan. I assume it's like fingerprinting.

The HEAT. I've been lucky in that it's been hovering around 104 which really is almost bearable when the humidity is down and the breeze is blowing. In fact, in the mornings we have been eating outside while we still can and it's been in the upper 80s lower 90s during breakfast which almost feels refreshing. HOWEVER, yesterday I experienced the humidity for the first time. I grew up in the Mojave Desert. I understand dry heat, hell I can even acclimate to 113 or so in dry heat, but high temps with humidity...it's literally like nothing I've ever experienced. I feel like I'm going to die sometimes when I walk out of the AC and into that. I can't breathe and everything feels so heavy. It will be an experience trying to get used to this. I definitely have a lot more sympathy now for all those who live in the south and on the east coast during summer. Humidity is the worst! Luckily we have a nice pool and I've been starting my mornings by waking up early and swimming a few laps before it gets oppressive. If nothing else, I'm going to get fit on this trip:)

Being a woman here. Actually being a Western woman here. As a Western woman growing up watching news about the Middle East, I admit I had my qualms about coming here. But then I did some research and read some expat blogs and I felt better. So far it's really been fairly interesting. There is an interesting level of politeness granted to women. I have had a couple men give up their place in queue to let me go ahead and when we eat at work, Kathleen and I never have to take our trays anywhere because the male servers insist on doing it and pulling out our chairs. They don't seem to do this for the men we are with. On the island (Yas Island- where we live and work), there are mainly expats so there was nothing so unfamiliar to me. However, yesterday we went into town to shop at Carrefour (French hypermarket that is all over here, sort of like a walmart and a super target with food all  combined) and this particular one was very local oriented. It was the first time I was in a place where the vast majority of women were in Abaya or Burqa. There were a few westerners but not very many and I felt a lot of gazes on myself, Kathleen and Jay. It was very interesting. Kathleen is married and I'm wearing a wedding band because it's easier to be a "married" woman alone here then single. But walking around with both Jay and Kathleen I wondered if many people thought we were his wives. We have started joking about this and I think Jay gets a kick out of it. There are plans to visit the Mosque on Tuesday. I believe Kathleen and I will have to wear Abaya there or at the very least a head covering. I will be sure to take pictures.

Driving in the Emirates. I've only been here 2 days and already almost died while in the car. Emirates are insane drivers! A guy cut us off on a roundabout and thank god Ken has fast reflexes. As it was, I had a case of giggles from pure hysteria for about 30 minutes after. Ken said that that was the 3rd close call he had. I have decided I'm never getting behind the wheel here myself! I will say that the roads are really nice here though, wide and new and there seems to be very little traffic. Also, it only costs about 20 bucks to fill up an entire tank and that's full service. Everything here is full service, I feel like it's rare to do something for yourself because there is such a large service industry.

That's about it for now. More to follow later. I'm doing well except for the allergies which are actually worse now then back home. I sent out a panicked request for sudafed to the coworkers coming over next week. Wish me luck that I can find a local remedy soon. Also the hotel I'm staying at is really nice and will make a good home for the 3 months or so. You can google it. It's called the Staybridge Suites Yas Island. It really feels like a nice little studio apartment and I'm loving the luxury of my king bed and the free breakfast each morning. And I'm still suffering from some jetlag so this entry is not up to my normal travelogues standards but I promise more entertaining writing in the next posts.

Hope you all are well! Hugs and love to all of you!
Love Chris

PS I will leave you with a photo of me inside an F1 car. I had no idea how small those things are. I could barely squeeze in and out so F1 drivers must be really small. Super cool though to be inside one! There is the F1 track here and they have a ride along experience. May have to check it out.


1 comment:

  1. The heat on the plane is intentional. When they finish serving the meal they turn off the lights and turn up the heat to put the passengers to sleep and placate everyone. When it's time to serve the second meal before landing they turn down the heat again. I hate it. Sometimes, if you're in Business, you can ask them to make it cooler and they might do it. Might.

    There are two theories on the airports being busy in the middle of the night in the UAE that I've heard and both are plausible: 1.) if you have flights out in the middle of the night you might gain an extra hotel night as business travelers in particular will keep their room the night of travel to shower, change and pack before heading off to the airport. 2.) the heat during the day is so bad that it effects the lift on jumbo jets.

    ReplyDelete